Tuesday 1 May 2012

Dragon Issues

I finished this on sunday, but only today did I finally get around to adding the white outline. I think I may scrap the mermaid illustration for this project, I wanted to do two like that, with that much detail, but I just done have the time. I'm about to finish a fourth picture, so if I scrap the mermaid one I can do two more that are just as simple, and hopefully have them all done by friday. We'll see! That's the plan anyway.

Unfortunately there are three girls in my group that I'm not getting on well with, it would probably help if I learned their names but I'm pretty bad at remembering names, and the project ends soon so, we'll see. Basically, they're being pretty ignorant about printing costs, and selfish when it comes to expecting illustrations to be finished.

Our teacher Sue suggested we do two final illustrations each, that way we have twelve pages for our 'book', but these three girls seem insistant on having 10-15 illustrations each, and there's six of us in the group! We have a limit of £6 to spend on printing, there's no way we'll be able to make a 30 page book, it'll cost much too much. So I'm working to get five illustrations finished, and I'll be talking through printing with them tomorrow. Part of me wants to leave it, to stand back and watch them flounder and fail, and if I were in another group watching them from afar then I would, but damnit I will not fail because they've overestimated this.

Which leads me to another thing, the amount of work they expect the rest of us to do in such a short space of time. One girl in particular is churning out 15-20 illustrations a day which, personally, and this is a matter on oppinion, I think are pretty crap. They look like she spent five minutes on each one, which I think is ridiculous. We're supposed to be working on self promotion, and doing the kind of work that we want to do when we finish university. There is no way that I am putting something that I spent so little time on into a book that we could potentially send out to publishers, because I don't want them to think I'm rubbish!

I don't know, I want to have the confidence to tell them this but I'm not a confident person. Let's see, maybe I'll find the balls to stand up to them and put them straight, explain the situation and hope that they start understanding that as nice as a thirty page book would be it;s not the quantity that matters, but the quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment