Wednesday 20 February 2013

A slow revelation

But first, the conclusion to my current Photoshop woes, and tea and cake with a friend.

Faye and I had a crit this morning, at 9:30, which was bad for me because I stayed up late working, and then my Photoshop died so I stayed up for another hour or so trying to fix it. I managed to get  up today, was about ten minutes late and so sleepy that I could barely keep my eyes open. I am a diligent student and a hard worker, but please don't always expect me to be awake when we're conversing. The crit went well, Glyn basically just told me to do more observational drawing (so true, auh) and character designs and pages and just draw loads of Acheron and Seth. My problem with the project, and it's not really a problem for me but for everyone else, is that Ach and Seth are old characters, I know them like the back of my hand, I don't need to design them/their clothes/their enviroment. But I do, for everyone else, and I kinda' forgot that.

After the crit Fay fixed my Photoshop for me ;-; Thank you lovely, lovely Faye. I paid her back when we went to a little tea shop, I bought her a cup of tea, and one for myself, plus cake for me (I have a pudding deficiency). We talked about Adventure Time and marrying those famous actors we love, hah, and our friend Mouse's characters Merrik and Trixie, because Faye was drawing Mouse a Valentines Day card : ) We headed off to the print fair afterwards, just to check it out, and Mouse gave me a Valentines Day card too! I'm kinda' bummed Glyn didn't use my poster, but whatever man, I can put it in my portfolio, and it came out really nicely (bitterbitterbitter).

Now, onto the revelation.

I spent so much of my childhood, and actually some of my adult life wishing that I would suddenly wake up and have superpowers, that I would be bit by a radioactive spider, or learn to breathe underwater so that I could be a superhero, but then I think most people do, don't they? Hoping that they're special somehow, in a really great, obvious way. No one likes to think they're just like everyone else. You hope that with your awesome superpowers you can help people, save people's lives, and be ridiculously popular and loved. And that's great! I think having that secret wish is brill. But I realised something a few days ago while I was walking to uni.

You're already a superhero. We all are.

Y'see, speaking for myself, I write and I illustrate, and I write and illustrate like no one else on this Earth, and it's all mine. That's my superpower! And yeah, okay, it's not x-ray vision or the ability to fly, but with it, if I really work hard at it, get better, work to train these super skills, I can change the world. Once I'm great enough (and damnit, I will make this happen) I'll be able to affect change, I'll be able to help charities that help and save people's lives, and, hopefully, people will love me, and I'll be popular. Wouldn't that be great? Hahah.

Writing and illustrating is my superpower, I will use it to help save people's lives, to change the world and make it into a better place, and I will be a figure for people to look up to, an inspiration to find their own superpowers, to change the world, for the better.

That was it, really : ) And I know it probably sounds like I'm bigging myself up, there's a chance I may never be great or powerful, that I may never have that kind of influence. There's a chance I might just work in Waterstones for the rest of my life.

But I aspire to be the best that I can be.

And so should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment